A Nobody's Business...

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Another Time, Another Kiss - Chapter 9 (Completed & Revised)

“Kinrou…”

“Huh?” A familiar voice made Kinrou open his eyes.

“Kyoko?” From his half-awaken eyes, Kinrou immediately spotted his lady standing only a few meters away from him.

“Kinrou…” Kyoko called out again. Her face was white as sheet and she looked as if she was feeling very cold because her body was shaking hard.

“Where are you going?” Kinrou started panicking when he noticed Kyoko moving away as if she was drifting aimlessly around like a lost soul in search for the tunnel of light.

“Kinrou…”

“I am here.”

“Where? I can hear you but I can’t see you!” Kyoko cried out hysterically, her eyes searching, directionless, into the dark.

“I…am…here.” Kinrou stuttered, tears rolling down uncontrollably from his eyes, feeling sick at heart by the fact that he was only inches away from Kyoko…face to face.

It was so near and yet…far.


**********

Kinnosuke found Kotoko on the swing in the park she used to go when she was a little girl. She was moving very slowly, her head down, dragging her feet along the ground.

"There you are… I thought you've gone back to Osaka without informing me...again." Kinnosuke remarked jokingly, but Kotoko knew it wasn’t a joke for she would always be his heartbreaker, even when Chris had crossed his path and took him under her wings.

“Do you miss her?" Kotoko asked, looking up.

“Who?" Kinnosuke threw the question back.

"Chris."

"Of course but what can I do?" Kinnosuke sighed, "She loved me so much, so much that it would kill her if I have had gone before her."

"Perhaps, she wanted to get back at me." Kinnosuke laughed a bitter laugh and sat next to Kotoko. Above them, long thin wisps of cloud broke here and there to reveal the stars.

"Get back at you?" Kotoko wondered loud.

“Yeah..." Kinnosuke shook his head. "I've made her cried too many times, even when I was asleep..." Kinnosuke stopped and diverted his glance to the lady who he would very much want to offer her his love.

"That is why she wanted me to remember her for the rest of my life, the longer I live, the longer I would have to remember her." Kinnosuke cried, laughing.

"Evil lady eh? But that's my Chris!"

"Kin..." Kotoko gave him a gentle pat on his shoulder. "Are you okay?" Kotoko asked concernedly, "I am sorry, I shouldn't have brought this up."

"It's okay." Kinnosuke assured, “I bet she is now having another round of victorious celebration up there." Kinnosuke said, pointing to the sky.

"Enough about me. Why are you here in the middle of the night?" Kinnosuke asked.

"Having any problem?"

"I am fine, just having some bad dreams."

"Bad dreams?" Kinnosuke scratched his head, "About him?"

"You know what?" Kinnosuke continued when Kotoko remained quiet. "Even after all these years, and I am already in my late thirties. I...I...still hate him!" He exclaimed.

“He’s...he's an ugly worm!" he said, desperate to find a satisfactory comparison.

"Don't insult worms." Kotoko said, but Kinnosuke didn't understand.

"It's not about him." Kotoko assured, "It's about Kyoko."

"Kyoko?"

"Yes. I had a strange dream just now and I am starting to get a little worry. You know all those little omens here and there, some kind of warning?" Kotoko finally voiced out her worries.

"I am sure she would be fine, don't you forget that she's the daughter of the Aihara Kotoko! The girl who never gives up in anything she believes in!" Kinnosuke said firmly.

"But...I gave up..." Kotoko shook her head sadly.


**********

*FLASH BACK*

“Are you sure you are only here for a drink?” Sai asked slowly and firmly as he passed Naoki a pre-heated Sake bottle and one little cup meant for the wine.

Naoki remained silent as he gulped down almost half the bottle, terribly frustrated by his failure to prove conclusively about his feelings towards Kotoko.

“Yes.” Naoki finally spoke out, looking down. “I’m here for a drink.” He then gulped down the rest of the liquid inside the bottle. “How much?”

“It’s on the house.”

“Thanks.”

“Naoki…” Sai called out when Naoki was at the doorway. “Why wouldn’t you just accept Kotoko? Why?” Sai snapped, unable to contain his anger anymore. Naoki turned to Sai, who was watching intensely for his reactions.

“Our lives have been dramatically disrupted and changed since the day you two moved in. Everyone…everyone,” he repeated, fixing his eyes on Sai.
“...has to make some compromises…but I don’t see why…” Naoki stopped.

“...why I should give in.” Naoki muttered reluctantly, the last words coming from some part of him that he didn’t know existed.

Sai stared at Naoki for a long moment and watched him leaving the premise. There was nothing else he could say to do at that moment even though he would be glad to have his fists across Naoki's cheeks.

“Kotoko?” Sai was shocked to find his daughter back at the door seconds after Naoki left. Had she overheard their conversation?

If yes, Sai could imagine how Kotoko was feeling at the moment.

“I forgot to give you my hostel's phone number.” Kotoko muttered and there was a piece of tear streaked memo paper in her hand. She quickly went over to Sai, placed the paper on the counter before heading back to the exit.

“For goodness sake, Kotoko,” Sai cried. “Stop being so strong!”

“He’s only a smart asshole, who enjoys tormenting you!”

“I am not sure…" Kotoko stopped her track. "I mean, what do you want me to do?”

Kotoko was desperately in finding an appropriate explanation for Naoki’s remarks. Suddenly, it frightened her. Maybe Sai was right, maybe it was very wrong of her to be that persistent over an unfruitful relationship between a tensai and a baka.

“You should hate him.” Sai said.

“I wanted to shout back.” Kotoko took a deep breath.
“But my brain wouldn't send the instruction to my mouth.”

Kotoko moaned and shook her head. “I could never hate him.”

“But Kotoko, you are only putting yourself into deeper water by thinking…”

“Just stop it…” Kotoko intercepted, even though tears flooded her eyes, her backbone straightened like a flag pole, her pride waving.

“I just wanted our kisses to be kisses that reached into the farthest corners of my heart to stir my imagination.” Kotoko's words were left hanging in the air.

She walked out of the eating house slowly, rubbing her eyes. “Oh god, make me forget.” Kotoko pleaded silently. “I need to forget.”

To be continued....







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home